domingo, 2 de julio de 2017

Collaborative Work

Before reading this post, please do not think that this is personal or anything. This is only my opinion about something that really worries me. 

Hi there! Collaborative work or hell as I call it. When the teacher told us that we were going to work with other people, I was worried as hell. Last time I did this kind of work (with google docs and everything), the result wasn't that good. Do you remember Game of Thrones night's watch oath? Well...
I'm a lone wolf, mate. I know that working with others is very important, and enriching, but for me, it can be a stressful situation. Remember Pimpinela? They used to be three but they had to do a collaborative assignment, and they are two now. (that last part is not true. I felt like the post was starting to lull a little bit, and I wanted to embellish). Trusting is important to complete the task successfully. If you don't trust in someone you must work with...



So, I decided to investigate the pros and cons of collaborative work. Here you have part of an interesting article about this:


Shared Responsibilities

For some students, sharing project responsibilities with others provides emotional comfort as well as tangible value. Students can allocate tasks based on expertise. One student may take on creative tasks, while another gets involved more in the research and compilation. Spreading tasks among several students can also increase the production efficiency compared with individual projects. In some cases, students may also take on tasks outside of their comfort zone to expand their skills.

Different Perspectives

In workplaces, groups are used to enhance the number and qualities of ideas discussed. In college, students learn to appreciate that different students have different life experiences and backgrounds. By becoming more open-minded, group members may learn to appreciate the unique viewpoints presented by others. Diversity can add to the breadth and depth of the ideas discussed, as people from varied backgrounds usually come to the table with ideas based on their own backgrounds.

Inefficiency in Decisions

Students may view groups as a way to divide tasks, but ambitious students may engage in extra time-consuming conversation and debate, delaying the completion of the assignment. While end results may be improved, decisions often take more time in groups. Individuals can't simply go with their first instinct or idea. They usually have to introduce ideas and work through group conflicts together to come to a consensus. This is problematic on projects with pending deadlines where urgent decisions are needed.

Varying Attitudes

Much of the conflict in work groups in the classroom arises from different attitudes toward the work group experience. Each student may have different academic goals. Some just want to pass, while others hope for an "A." Some students embrace the benefits and opportunities that come from teamwork, while others prefer to work autonomously and don't adjust well to a group assignment. During group discussion and work, some students take on controlling roles that can turn off others, whereas other students sit back and frustrate cohorts who want them to participate actively.

Original article: http://education.seattlepi.com/advantages-disadvantages-group-work-classroom-situation-1333.html

I know that group work and collaborative work are not the same, but I think that I needed to do some research about this. My worries are the same in both. 

11 comentarios:

  1. You're right about work collaborative is a tough task ...I hope you can have a nice experience this time ;) Noe

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I love the way you post things here.!! Thanks Clau.! I really appreciate it.!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I used to think exactly the same. But recently I've been doing some GOOD collaborative work (something not related to the college or education) and the results have been GREAT! So it depends on the situation. I think that what stresses us the most is the fact that there is a mark going to be shared for the work, and since we always want the best for us, sometimes we may think that our peer's way of working just won't do the cut, which is logical, since we are all different. But I really suggest you to try it in another environment, with a task not related to education. You'll see that there are a lot of things we sometimes are not awared of, and how y
    Anyway, I wish you good luck on this one!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I love the way in which you started your post, it engaged me a lot! I totally agree with you, when doing a collaborative work, it is really necessary to trust in the people who are working with you.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I love collaborative work. All of my teaching practicum became really good Friends and this year I'm having a good time with Marina. Sometines, we students get so worried about marks and we don't enjoy the process.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Clau I used to be like you, but then I relaxed a bit and started trusting on my mates. It's important to feel comfortable with the people you work with. good luck next time!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Sorry... I deleted the commment and posted it again to correct two typing mistakes ;-)

      Eliminar
  8. Dear Claudio, let me start by telling you that I fully understand you. As a student, I was a lot like you, probably because I had several disappointing experiences.
    Also, let me reassure you,as your teacher in this specific collaborative experience, that I am aware of the stress, the risks,etc. And as it is going to be a process of several months, if things do not go as well as I think they will go (I trust you and your classmates a lot), we can change plans and try something different (like individual work). So give it your best try and, as your classmates suggest above, relax and enjoy the experience. And do not hesitate to tell me, once we get started, if you come across obstacles I can help you with.

    ResponderEliminar

Entrada destacada

And We are back!

Hi there! How are you? It’s been ages since we spoke. I enjoyed my holidays a lot. It's good to be back, though. If you are new here...

Entradas populares